Thursday, November 15, 2007

The Immortal Lincoln


Usually when I post a book cover I am going to write another book review. This will not occur today because I want to focus on some awesome quotes about and by Lincoln that appear in Lincoln's Melancholy by Joshua Wolf Shenk. I promise to post a review of this book as soon as I can but I did finish the book and it is highly recommended. Before I move to the quotes I wanted to add that all future book reviews will have a five star system installed. I will rate each book as part of my recommendation and review. Shenk does a great job using quotes about Lincoln and quotes written by Lincoln. I am a quote guy because I love the way that quotes make you think. Also, I love looking at how these quotes relate to my life and past experiences. There were so many sides to the man and qualities that he shared with all of us.

"Every man is proud of what he does well, and no man is proud of what he does well." A. Lincoln

"How hard, oh, how hard it is to die and leave one's country no better than if one had never lived for it." A. Lincoln

"You know I am never sanguine, the most trying thing in all of this war is that the people are too sanguine; they expect too much at once." A. Lincoln

"I expect to maintain this contest until successful, or till I die, or am conquered, or my term expires, or Congress or the country forsakes me." A. Lincoln, 1862.

This is great stuff that stood out to me as I read Lincoln's Melancholy.

Shenk, Joshua Wolf. Lincoln's Melancholy How Depression Challenged a President and Fueled His Greatness. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Co, 2005.

No comments: